We are proud to work closely with the University of Otago and its commercialisation company Otago Innovation Limited (OIL). The University of Otago is the source of some of New Zealand’s most exciting and innovative technologies.
“Allan and Scott have been an integral part of the commercialisation team at Otago Innovation since 2003. They have been of great assistance to us in our commercialisation of the major technologies coming out of the University of Otago during that time. They provide great strategic advice, and we value highly their expertise and experience in helping us to negotiate and draft deal documents with partners around the world.”
Hon. Pete Hodgson, CEO, Otago Innovation Limited
Our work has included:
- assisting OIL with the commercialisation of the National Poisons Centre’s TOXINZ database, including reviewing and advising on existing contractual documentation, negotiating and drafting licence agreements, preparing website terms, and advising OIL on liability and IP issues
- working with both the University of Otago and OIL as they develop and bring to market a number of new mobile apps, including Flora Finder, Bonedoc and Help Me Publish
- working closely with the University of Otago and OIL in connection with the establishment of a number of joint venture and spin-out companies, including Menixis Limited, Techion Holdings Limited, Photonic Innovations Limited, Ubiquitome Limited, Upstream Medical Technologies Limited, Elucimed Limited and Chitogel Limited. This work has involved preparing or reviewing shareholder agreements and capital raising documents, preparing patent and other IP licences, and providing strategic advice on IP ownership issues
- assisting a subsidiary of OIL to negotiate a licence from an Australian university of a patented technology
- helping OIL to license out a number of its patented technologies to overseas pharmaceutical and biomedical companies
- providing ongoing legal advice on a broad range of IP ownership and technology commercialisation matters within the University.